Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Root Cellar and other Adventures

I had the privilege to be an at home mother for about 10 years. When I first quit my job (after much prayer and fear and excitement) I mistakenly thought that I would 1. be bored and 2. have a neat house. In 10 years, neither ever happened. Since I was "not working" I felt guilty saying no to helping with many volunteer "opportunities." I also felt guilty asking my husband for ANY help around the house unless I was extremely busy, like, actively in labor! After all he was making money and what was I doing? I did have the opportunity to actually teach my children how to do housekeeping chores--the first thing I remember is teaching Greg and Kris how to make a bed with "hospital corners." They actually learned and probably still know how. None of the other kids ever got that skill. Anyway, during that time we lived on less (a nice term for in poverty!) and really got back to nature. We had a pretty nice garden and Greg and Kris learned to plant and weed. I gave them each a little corner of the garden that they could plant one of everything in, and they had to weed one row a day. We started out with great intentions every year (does this sound familiar?) but come August, the garden would get the best of us and the weeds would take over. But there was still lots of produce. I canned and froze, and experimented with making things you usually buy at the store--like ketchup (so runny it won the ketchup race every time--but tasted just like ketchup) and mayonnaise (same basic recipe as pudding but with vinegar and salt and I think mustard for flavor instead of vanilla and sugar.) John was also into making do. He, of course loved the power stuff, tilling the garden, setting up stations outside to blanch huge quantities of vegetables for freezing, and once--talk about mission creep--a whole apple pie assembly line which started out with 2 bushels of apples, an apple peeler corer slicer and a huge bag of flour and went on and on into the night, producing (eventually) 33 apple pies for the freezer. We subscribed to Organic Gardening magazine, and got a lot of ideas from it. One year after reading an article on making your own root cellar, John and Floyd (my stepfather, and John's best friend) decided they would make a root cellar. Neither John or Floyd is around to flesh out the particulars any more, but I remember that after much digging they produced a walk-in hole in the ground which they topped with boards, and then shoveled dirt over the boards. We then put squash and potatoes and carrots in there to store. However, when winter came, the snow blew and drifted over the top so well and so deep we couldn't find it. In the spring, the snow melted and the whole thing sort of turned into a mud pit containing rotten squash, potatoes and carrots. Not at all like "Little House on the Prairie!" We did a lot of things one time. Once we made maple syrup. We tapped the huge tree behind our house, and got a couple of gallons of sap which we cooked on top of the stove for a couple of days. It never really got thick, but eventually we got tired of simmering it, and smelling the wonderful smell and bottled it. We got about a quart. The next day Mom and Floyd came over to visit and John told Greg to go get it from the refrigerator to show them. On the way back from the refrigerator with the bottle in his hand, Greg tripped and spilled it. :-( So we never even got to taste it.

Of course when you are living off the land you have to burn wood. There was plenty of wood around, and we got a used wood stove from a friend. It was very cozy to have wood heat, if you were near the fire. However, what I didn't know, but soon learned, was that the farther you got from the fire (and here I am talking distance and time!) the colder you got. You could stoke the fire up as much as you wanted to, and then turn the damper way down to help it burn slower, but in the morning someone had to run through the chilly house and get it going again. Different kinds of wood burn differently. Willow is just BAD--it never really dries out, and then it burns so hot and fast you have to keep adding more to the fire. But once John's dad insisted we take a load of willow he had cut down and split. (He said, and I quote, "Wood is wood. Take it!") There was a a big chunk of it that sat in our wood holder all winter. Everytime I would try to add it to the fire, it would actually put the fire out! So I'd pull it out, and put something else in. One day in the spring I looked at that piece of willow, and it had sprouted! Darn stuff! All winter, every day you had to carry in wood to keep by the stove. (Occasionally you would carry in a field mouse too!) Periodically you had to clean the ashes out of the bottom of the stove and take them out. These were all character building jobs for the kids (and an exercise in disappearing for Steve, who by now was big enough to have a job too!) But they left a trail of whatever they were carrying wherever they went, and let in a lot of cold air too. Cleaning the chimney is very important when you have a wood stove, since soot can build up inside of it, blocking the escaping smoke and causing it to drift around inside the house. Since John couldn't get up inside to clean the chimney, his solution was to start a really hot fire, getting some sparks up in the chimney and start a chimney fire. This is kind of like jumping off the roof to get downstairs quickly. It's quick and it works, but you are never quite sure you will survive the trip. Anyway we managed to never burn down the house, thank God! But when someone starts talking about how nice and cheap it is to have wood heat, I just smile and nod. I LOVE central heat and a thermostat!

13 comments:

Laura said...

I remember the wood stove!!! gosh, I remember getting out of the bathtub and standing around in a big towel trying to warm up before I had to put on those stupid footy pajamas. I also remember that freddy used to sleep under it and it would sort of singe her fur, so she always felt a little rough.

gosh...that was fun...especially since I was always to little to chop wood.

Julie Hedeen said...

Sometimes she looked like a gopher too--when you would trim her whiskers! Freddie the wonder cat!

Laura said...

more like freddy, it's a wonder she lived to be as old as she did with little laura as her owner, cat.... she was pretty great though.

Kristen said...

I'm laughing out loud!! Oh, my! You need to write more. How about the slave labor in the garden? I remember weeding a row for a dime. I think I was six when I began to understand capitalism. (I think the rows were about 50 feet long and the weeds were taller than me!)

Julie Hedeen said...

Slave labor?? Why the sun was shining, the birds were singing, the mosquitoes were--well never mind the mosquitoes--you were getting a tan, and muscles, and skills. And now you can do itto your kids! And Laura, remember Freddie taking you hunting? You were such a bad kitten, but you were the only kitten she ever had . . .

Amber E said...

There is one good use for footy pajamas - at-home, do-it-yourself amusement park as in slide down the stairs as fast as you can. Of course once the thrill is gone then the footy pajamas can go back to being silly because the legs are almost never the correct length...

Amber E said...

You know, as a kid I always loved coming to visit you guys it was great. You just reminded me of one winter when we got snowed in! and had pancakes! and we played monopoly and I got to help bring it wood. It was fun. I remember that from time to time, I do not know if you who were grownups at teh time liked being snowed in but for me it was awesome.

Julie Hedeen said...

Did you see that Kris?? GOT to bring in wood. It's all in how you look at it. We still like to be snowed in occasionally--as long as we are not out of coffee and coffee creamer. Having the power go out is a way different story though. I am really NOT into thawing out pipes, especially now that I am the head of the house.

Laura said...

you mean you are not into DELEGATING the pipe thawing responsibility to someone younger and more "able"....

Mom, you're a slave driver....and by the sounds of it you always were...sheesh, making the poor city children bring in firewood to heat the our house. It was a lot of firewood too if I recall....probably because Swedes are not renowned for their architectural prowess. Our house especially is about as air tight as a modern art sculpture.

But even I have to admit you were good. Apparently Amber ENJOYED it.

Julie Hedeen said...

Yeah, maybe I could get people to come here for a "country living" experience and charge them money! Experience real prairie life! Options
1. Adventures in winter (real blizzard extra). Includes hands on wood fire maintenance.
2. Adventures in summer (tetanus and encephalitis vaccines a must.) No tanning booths needed here! Eat fresh vegetables off the vine, ride horses you actually catch yourself!

Amber E said...

You know. I think those dude ranches out west do charge extra for people to 'help' with chores. I always figured it was because the guests would make such a mess someone would have to clean up after them.

With the wood it is all in what you are used to. When it's not my house it was something different and cool. (Either that or Aunt Julie hypnotized me) One thing or the other...

Kristen said...

Again, I am laughing. There is soooo much I could say... but do I dare?

Julie Hedeen said...

I know, and I'm really sorry about the coffee and the blizzard. I'm glad you all didn't freeze--and the coffee was much appreciated!