Thursday, May 27, 2010

Who do you think you are? Pride rears it's head again!

I went with Mom to the doctor this week. I do it because I love my Mom and because I speak healthcare; a foriegn language if there ever was one. The doctor and his nurse were both very respectful and kind. They took time to answer our questions, and seemed to be very thorough. I asked if her EKG had returned to normal after the "small" heart attack last month. He ordered an EKG to be done before we left. Whenever we have a wait, Mom & I like to work on crossword puzzles, cryptoquotes or other mind challenges. So we were working on a particularly difficult one when they came to get her for the EKG. I forgot that I was the one who was interested in the results, so I stayed in the waiting area. When she came back out a couple of minutes later, I said, "Oh I forgot I wanted to see the EKG!" The tech said, "You can't see it. Only if a doctor is there." I tried to argue with her, but it was obvious she wasn't going to change her mind. I was FURIOUS! I wanted to bite her head off, in fact I thought I started to, but Mom told me later she thought that I was extremely polite to her. I don't think I was at all--I certainly didn't feel that way. It was partly that I really did want to know, the doctor wanted me to know, and so did Mom. It was also partly because in my heart I felt superior to her, and I wanted her to know that I was. Problem with a living sacrifice is it keeps crawling off the altar. That's me--again.

4 comments:

Fiat Lex said...

C'mon, don't be too hard on yourself. Pride may have been present, and this incident may have drawn your attention to something in you that you feel ready to work on and improve.

But when I read that post, the motivation that jumps out at me is your concern for Grandma Jule! You wanted to read the EKG with your own two eyes so that you could reassure yourself that she's improving, the meds etc. are working (how is the quitting smoking going for her by the way?) and she's really, truly going to be OK.

Unfortunately--or fortunately, depending how you want to look at it--it's now a test of your faith. In Grandma, that this thankfully non-fatal wake-up call really got through to her. In her doctors, that they really do know what they're doing. And in God that some good will come of the terrible scare of her "small" heart attack.

So I say, kudos in recognizing one of those self-parts none of us like to look at. And I will be hoping you rise to the challenge of this test and become even more awesome as a result!

Kristen said...

And me...

Kristen said...

However, I agree with Crystal 100%

Julie Hedeen said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog last month. I don't know how to change it so I hear about them. Sometimes I get something off my chest and then I never look back at it. I never did write a letter to Fairview about it (although I did tell myself that would be the mature thing to do.) How can she/they improve if I don't tell them what stung along with what was good? Then I shouldn't complain if the same thing happens again!