Monday, March 17, 2008

I am NOT 60!

Well not yet anyway! Last week I developed what Dave Barry calls the "Martian Death flu." Now I have seen lesser people develop this and immediately become total wimps! But I pride myself on my kickbutt immune system (more powerful than MRSA, able to leap gram negative bacteria in a single bound--it's a vitamin, it's a vaccine, it's SUPERJULIE!) and also I am NOT a complainer (shut up Laura! Get back in your closet or I won't let you out until summer!) not to mention, I am the soul of stoicism. So you can see, when a person like me takes to her bed, with fever, aches pains and coughs, it is very serious. I was unable to pick up a telephone to call anyone, but I kept getting concerned phone calls from family and friends. "That's nice," I would think, and immediately fall asleep again. Finally on Friday evening, daughter Kris called. "Mom, you're really messing me up by being sick you know! We're having a surprise birthday party for you tomorrow, and a lot of people are coming from far away, and I don't even know how to cancel it now. I didn't know if I should not tell you & hope you start feeling better by tomorrow, or tell you and spoil the surprise! I feel so guilty."
So, I had to get better. And I did. Sort of.
Saturday evening I drove over to Kris and Michaels, and walked in the door.
"SURPRISE!" everyone yelled.
"Sort of," son Steve added.
It was, of course, very fun, and I did feel lots better. They made me a scrapbook--which I can show off at work. Lots of funny cards and other gifts. Greg made me a DVD with greetings and well wishes from almost everyone (Rosie, you are still in trouble with Greg for missing your "cameo.") I would love to post some clips from it on this blog if I could figure out how. They are so funny!
But you know, I'm really not 60 yet.

7 comments:

Martie said...

Time marches on...it is now March 19th. Hey, just remember, 60 is the new 40!

Julie Hedeen said...

Thanks for the reminder! Remember, no good deed goes unpunished! Do you realize that our birthdays celebrate (maybe that's not the right word) two wars?

Martie said...

I'm trying to think of something witty to say about that, but words fail me. This may be a first.

Julie Hedeen said...

Perhaps this would be a good time to challenge you to Scrabble? But I think the flu has cost me some vital brain cells so maybe I should just let it ride too . . .

Julie Hedeen said...

You know, you need to put in a picture of yourself for the blog. Maybe that one of your eye?

Martie said...

Well, I can see that your wit is still sharp, despite your recent bout with the flu, so we are probably evenly matched at Scrabble.

About the picture...good idea. I was thinking of using a 30 year old picture like many others my age (present company excepted) trying to fluff up their online images. Or maybe go all the way & use the cute one of me in the high chair showing my dimple. Then everyone would want to hire me!

Amber E said...

Hi, I had so much fun visiting over the weekend. I'm kinda glad we got to stop hiding from you because that meant there was more time to visit. I'm glad you liked the video I thought it was the coolest thing (the parts I got to see). You are going to have to post again soon otherwise there is the danger that we will all actually remember your age. My brain still gets fuzzy and thinks that you and my mom are still in your 30's...until I remember that I am almost 30, never mind. We are just going to not think about that at all. Talk to you later.
Amber